When do I need to start looking for a property?

You should start looking about 1-2 months before you need to move. If you start too early, you are likely to see a property that is available before you are ready.

How much rent should I be looking to pay?

We would suggest that your earnings are at least 2 ½ times the annual rent as reference agencies usually require this. If this is not the case then a guarantor will normally be required.

What sort of agreement will I have?

We will give you an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. This will usually be for a minimum of 6 months to a year depending on the landlord. Most Landlords are happy to include a break clause which can be implemented with a 2 month notice period, after the first 6 months have passed.

I've seen a property that I like, what should I do next?

You should contact us as soon as possible and agree terms of the tenancy. You will need to pay the holding deposit to take the property off the market and start the reference process. Once we have received the references we will ask for the remainder of the deposit before you are able to move in at the agreed date after you have successfully passed the reference stages.

What Costs Will I Incur?

We require a months rental in advance and a 5 weeks rental deposit. From this amount, we initially require a non-refundable holding deposit of 1 week rental (not an extra charge). The 1 week rental will go towards the security deposit. There is no further costs to pay.

What happens about references?

We will either use a reference agency or contact your referees direct. You will need to complete a form giving us details such as your address, last three months bank statements, passport or driving licence copies, employment details etc. If a guarantor is needed (e.g. if you are a student), the guarantor will have to provide similar details.

What do I do about utility bills etc?

We will inform all the utility companies (council tax, water, gas and electricity) of your move in date and the meter readings where appropriate. The utility companies will then contact you directly. You will need to arrange telephone accounts, Internet Services, TV licence and any other services you may require.

Should I take out contents insurance?

You will be required to have insurance for your own personal belongings and cover for possible damage you may cause to the property and its contents. We will be able to provide you with details of companies who specialise in providing tenants with these products should you wish.